List:       mason
Subject:    Re: [Mason] perl 5.6.0 and request
From:       mookid () sigent ! ru (Mikhail Zabaluev)
Date:       2000-10-29 14:03:26

Hello Oliver,

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 15:36 +1300, Oliver Jones wrote:

> It seems I have been getting mixed messages with regards to Perl 5.6.
>
> On this list and in other places it has been noted that Perl 5.6 has
> bugs.  Some nasty.  Some not so nasty.  Now I not sure what exactly
> these bugs are supposed to be but from my daily scanning of Mason-users
> it seems they show up with the current release of HTML::Mason.
>
> However, new Linux distros are putting Perl 5.6.0 in (eg, RedHat 7),
> when you try to upgrade CPAN.pm with cpan it trys to install 5.6.0...
> All over the place it appears that people want you to upgrade.  Is there
> a good reason to do this or is it best to just avoid 5.6.x until 5.6.1
> and stick with the venerable 5.005?

Many distribution vendors seem to track down recent Perl patches. For
example, Linux-Mandrake, which I use, features several patches applied to
the Perl 5.6.0. After I applied the patch that cures "Bizarre copy
of..." behaviour, HTML::Mason works on my machine pretty well.

--
Stay tuned,
  MhZ                                    mailto:mookid@sigent.ru