List:       mason
Subject:    RE: [Mason] "Slow Cache"
From:       Jonathan Swartz <swartz () transbay ! net>
Date:       2000-02-27 0:33:15

Yes, I remember it well. :) There's a reason that we ran from database to
filesystem components that has nothing to do with speed or CPU usage:
developer convenience. Unless you've got some really slick database tools,
you'll be hard pressed to match ls/cat/grep/find/emacs/vi/cvs... and the
hundreds of other tools that leverage a standard file system. We ended
up having to rewrite many of these for the database.

Thus one needs to consider carefully whether a small increase in speed
and manageability is worth the decrease in developer productivity. As
cannot be stated enough, developers are more expensive than hardware.

I can see the desire to not keep things in per-process memory, but doesn't
NFS have a memory cache too?

Jon