List:       mason
Subject:    Re: [Mason] Mason based sysadmin tools
From:       Dennis Watson <dwatson () netcom ! com>
Date:       2000-02-23 19:59:09

Hi,

On 23 Feb 2000, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

>     DW> So, are there any sysadmin tool componets out there?  Would
>     DW> anyone be interested in a project to build some?  I think
>     DW> Webmin might be a good place to start since it is Perl based
>     DW> and has a modular architecture.
>
> I'm currently interested in (possibly building) a DNS admin app and a
> DHCP admin app.  From my short bit of looking, it looks like the
> CfgTie modules would fit in very nicely with this.  If we can extend
> those modules in the other Admin areas and help make them more mature,
> that would be even better.

DNS is the fist area I would be interested in.  There are a few tools for
working with DNS, but they seem a bit hacky and/or underpowered.

I read the README for CfgTie.  Looks interesting, deserves more
investigation.  I had thought Webmin might be good because it is actively
being developed (I think Caldera has some stake in the project), it is
pretty encompasing, and has a modular archtecture.  Webmin would probably
need more integration work that CfgTie though.

Also would be nice to get strong integration with a popular, existing web
stats package like Analog.  Perhaps Analog (or anothers) output templates
could be patched to output Mason comps, and Mason could provide the usual
headers, footers, and nav bars.

Dennis