List:       mason
Subject:    [Mason] mc_cache_self and expiration
From:       Jonathan Swartz swartz () transbay ! net
Date:       1999-07-15 12:23:46

At 12:30 AM 7/15/99 +0400, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>I think I found the problem.
>
>I used in mc_cache_self  key=>$msg_id, and undefined $msg_id caused
>the problem. This was my fault, but I think Mason could check key before
>passing things to MLDBM and provide warning message.

Thanks, I will check this.

>What's the best pair for caching ? I have no DB_File 2.x  and
>I read posts about memory leak in DB_File 1.85 under Linux.
>So I just use GDBM_Files.

Here's what I have in the latest Admin manual.  Anything to add/correct?

...At this time the best
options are Berkeley DB (B<DB_File>) version 2.x, available at
www.sleepycat.com, and GNU's gdbm (B<GDBM>), available at GNU mirror
sites everywhere. Stay away from Berkeley DB version 1.x on Linux
which has a serious memory leak (and is unfortunately pre-installed on
many distributions).

As far as the serialization methods, all of them should work
fine. B<Data::Dumper> is probably simplest: it comes with the latest
versions of Perl, is required by Mason anyway, and produces readable
output (possibly useful for debugging cache files).  On the other hand
B<Storable> is significantly faster than the other options according
to the MLDBM documentation.

Jon