List:       mason
Subject:    Re: [Mason] Chained Select Menus w/o javascript?
From:       Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp () pobox ! com>
Date:       2007-10-04 2:11:08

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:42:51PM -0700, amiribarksdale wrote:
> What might that "other request" be? How or where could it be formed? Is it
> possible in the foreach loop to count off the options or something, and pass
> that count to the subselect?

By "another request" I meant that you could make the user select an object and
click 'submit', like vanilla, non-AJAXy forms work.

I can't see how this is very helpful, though, since all I'm saying is "You
would do it the same way as with Javascript, except replace Javascript with the
user."  This makes me think that either I have misunderstood you, or you are
confused about how HTTP works.

Here is an unavoidable sequence of events:

1. server: select objects, generate select, send to client
2. client: choose a single object from the select, send to server
3. server: select subobjects, generate sub-select, send to client
4. client: ... do something with subobject

2 & 3 can either be done in the background, with Javascript, or in the
foreground, by doing a normal form submission.

Here's what you can't do, without selecting all possible subobjects up front:

1. server: select objects, generate select, invoke magic, send to client
2. client: choose object, do something with subobject

hdp.