List:       markus-dev
Subject:    [MarkUs-dev]  Test Framework: Storing Test Results
From:       Nick Lee <yc2lee () uwaterloo ! ca>
Date:       2013-03-12 23:20:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

Last week I ran into the problem where I cannot tell which test run the
rows of the test_results table came from.

One solution is to add a column to the test_results table, something like
test_run, whose value will be an id from the test_script_results table. So
a TestResult will belong to a TestScriptResult. Then the grader will see
test results by test run, something like this:

Test Run 1 - 2013/03/08
   Script Name: q1script.rb
   Marks Earned: 4/20
   A list of the test results follow.....

Test Run 2 - 2013/03/10
   Script Name: q1script.rb
   Marks Earned: 18/20
   A list of the test results follow.....

Test Run 3 - 2013/03/11
   Script Name: q1script.rb
   Marks Earned: 15/20
   A list of the test results follow.....

Alternatively, we can instead update the appropriate rows of the
test_results table whenever a new test run is made. This approach suggests
that a submission should have only one test run associated with it. So a
submission should have one TestScriptResult, and one or more TestScripts,
but those TestScripts will all be from one single test run. If the
instructor/grader makes a new test run, we'll just update the appropriate
rows instead of adding new rows.

What do you think we should do? The second approach is easier to implement
and it makes sense because a student's mark comes from one, single test
run, so there's no need to store information from multiple test runs.
However, the first approach keeps a record of everything that has happened.

By the way, storing results from test runs made by STUDENTS before the
assignment deadline is a related but harder issue. When students submit,
MarkUs does NOT create a new submission (no new rows are added to the
submissions table). So we can't even put the results in the test_results
table, because that table has a submission_id column.

From,
Nick Lee