List:       markus-dev
Subject:    Re: Markus website & documentation
From:       Nelle Varoquaux <nelle.varoquaux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-26 22:15:44

Hi Severin,

1. This would replace the current website available on
> markusproject.org, right? It would also be user guide, website,
> contributer guide, etc. all in one?

Yes, that is correct.

> 2. If we go with this, that would mean we'd have another Git repo (for
> which we can have looser permission restrictions), correct?

There are several options for that. We could include the documentation
directly with the source code (in the very empty doc folder), or create a
repository for it (or replace one of the repository we already have, such
as the wiki one, or the website one). We just need to keep in mind that if
it is rebuild after each commit, we might want to check what goes in (or at
least have some mail send if the build fails).

> 3. How does multiple version support work? Can parts of the
> documentation be versioned an other parts not? Say section A applies
> to MarkUs version 0.5, 0.6 and 0.9, but not 0.8 would we need to tag
> every paragraph with the list of applicable versions?

It would be tagged as a whole, with a git tag. For the build, there are two
options possible:

   - have different urls for different version,
markusproject.orgredirecting to the "stable" one.This is how
scikits-learn works (
http://scikit-learn.org/ for the stable version,
http://scikit-learn.org/dev/ for the development one, and
http://scikit-learn.org/0.9 for the 0.9 release etc...
   - have the build of the website itself always be the stable version, and
in the documentation part, displaying links to different version of
the documentation. This is how scikits-image works:
http://scikits-image.org/docs/

Both solution have drawbacks.
I don't know how to configure sphinx for those two options, but I'm pretty
sure it is straight forward (fingers crossed).

Thanks,