List:       markus-dev
Subject:    Re: Porting Markus to Rails3
From:       Severin Gehwolf <Severin.Gehwolf () utoronto ! ca>
Date:       2011-08-01 17:09:14

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 17:40 +0100, Nelle Varoquaux wrote:
> On 1 August 2011 17:32, Severin Gehwolf <Severin.Gehwolf@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 17:03 +0100, Nelle Varoquaux wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > This is a sum up of what has been done, and what is left to do for the
> > > rails3 migration.
> >
> > Ok cool. Thanks!
> >
> > > We now have all unit tests passing, and 1296 tests, 2410 assertions, 1
> > > failures, 133 errors on the functional tests.
> > >
> > > There are two types of error left:
> > >
> > > - ActionNotFound: all the tests on action that don't exist in the
> > controller
> > >   fail. The reason for that is that the rediction to the missing page is
> > not
> > >   done anymore. This is a routing issue.
> > >
> > > - TypeError in global actions. It seems that the models can't be found in
> > >   small part of the graders view (see graders_controller_test for that)::
> > >
> > >    88) Error:
> > >    test: An authenticated and authorized admin with groups table selected
> > >    doing a POST on :global_actions on unassign should and multiple
> > graders
> > > and
> > >    multiple groupings are selected. (GradersControllerTest):
> > >    TypeError: Cannot visit Grouping
> > >        app/controllers/graders_controller.rb:183:in `global_actions'
> > >        /test/functional/authenticated_controller_test.rb:16:in `post_as'
> > >

> > > Functional tests passing doesn't mean the application will run under
> > rails3.
> > > There will be a lot of problems the tests don't cover. But we are slowly
> > > getting there.
> >
> > Agreed. Selenium tests would help for this kind of things, but we don't
> > have them (well, we had a few we weren't running much), so this is a
> > moot point ;-)
> >

> We got rid of them, and the gems specific to those :)
> They were totally out of date.
>

> > > This raise the question of when and how we should do the switch between
> > the
> > > master branch and the rails3 branch: we are arriving to a point were a
> > lot
> > > of refactoring is going to be done, and merging patchs from master to the
> > > rails3 branch is going to be more and more difficult.
> >
> > First of all make sure we don't have anything missing in the master
> > branch which isn't in the rails3 branch. I'm assuming you made sure of
> > that. Having said that, I'm OK with making rails3 our new master branch.
> > That was part of the reason why I wanted to release 0.10.0. I think it's
> > reasonable to assume that 0.10.x will be our last rails 2 release.
> >
> > Please feel free to make master our rails 3 dev version. I'm good with
> > it, yet I'm only one vote :)
> >
> > I was actually thinking about waiting until the summer is over: there are
> still the three students working on the test framework, and moving them to
> rails3 might be a bit harsh, unless we create a branch specifically for
> them.

This is the time to speak up :) It would be great to hear some feedback
from them. Last info I have is that they were working on some example
ant files/scripts to run Python tests integrated with the test
infrastructure we have now. Not too much overlap there. Keep in mind
that this is just me guessing in the wild. Anyone know more?

Besides, I don't see why their work wouldn't merge with 0.10.x IMO, this
is the branch "specifically" created for them :)

> > What I recommend to prior to that is:
> >      * Make sure http://demo.markusproject.org runs off our 0.10.x
> >        branch (not master). This should only be a short-term measure
> >        until we have approximate feature parity in master again.
> >
> +1
>
> >      * Set up a MarkUs version which runs master (i.e. current dev
> >        environment). I think this is what old admin-demo was intended
> >        for.
> >
> +1
>

> >      * This means we'd have to have some sort of set up on our server
> >        which allows us to run both, rails 2 and rails 3. RVM comes to
> >        mind.
> >

> RVM isn't necessary (but can be nice). Else, bundle deals with it well
> enough for me to develop on both rails3 and rails2 on all my computers, so
> +0
>
>      * Update MarkUs development environment instructions for MarkUs
> >        rails 3 development.
> >
> +1
>

> > The reason why I suggest the above steps is to have some sort of
> > comparison. I.e. be able to compare how feature X worked on rails 2 and
> > compare it how it works on our rails 3 dev version. Of course you can
> > have all of that set up locally as well, but I don't expect every
> > developer to have that.
> >
> > Anyhow, those are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.
> >
> I agree on everything :)

Somebody will have to do the work. I haven't even set up rails 3 on my
machine, so I have no estimate on how much work it would be. Perhaps
I'll be able to do some of the tasks end of August/early September.

If somebody has the cycles and would like to do any of this, please
speak up :) I'd gladly create an account on markusproject.org for you.

--Severin