List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    Re: A Suggestion for Strikethrough Syntax
From:       Bill Eccles <Bill.lists () Eccles ! net>
Date:       2009-11-09 23:55:35

> Pandoc uses this syntax in its markdown extensions:
>
> ~~text to be struck through~~
8< snip!

> Now that it's been in pandoc for a while, I'd be reluctant
> to change this syntax, but it now strikes me that something
> like the following would look better:
>
> apol(~l~)ogies
> syntactic(~al~)
> (~permutation-invariant~)
>
> John

Actually, I like your double-tilde notation a lot better than my hyphen notation. It \
accomplishes much better what John set out to do, namely make something that looks \
like what it represents. And a tilde does look a lot like a scribble, which is a lot \
like what a strikethrough represents.

I don't much care for the parenthesis-laden notation, though. Doesn't quite look like \
what it represents as much as the double-tilde does.

I'd love to see Pandoc integrated with Movable Type. That'd be sweeeeeeet.

/Bill