List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    Re: Bug: Code block after list
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2007-08-04 12:39:23

Am Samstag, 04. August 2007 schrieb Lou Quillio:
> Michel Fortin wrote:
> > it is necessary to interpret indented content after a list item as the
> > continuation of the content of that particular item.
>
> Ack!  Of course.  Didn't see it because my actual case is a lot more
> complicated.
>
> Less-liberal list indenting would be bad, so the only solution is to
> insert _something_, and an HTML comment is the most innocuous thing.
>  Okay.  I get it.
>
> I wonder if an **optional**, explicit delimiter for code blocks
> would be so bad.  The four-space indent is fine, but it's not
> _great_.  It sometimes feels ... fragile.
>
> When composing email I nearly always bracket a code block with some
> kind of visual line, top and bottom.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I am preformatted {
>     don't interpret me;
> }
>
> Everything in here is to be
> taken ****literally****.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Block start, block end.  No guessing.
>
> LQ

This was already discussed in great detail. Afaik the result was just to use
HTML. So instead of writing all these `~`, just do this:

<pre><code>
I am preformatted {
    don't interpret me;
}
Everything in here is to be
taken ****literally****.
</code></pre>

If I'm mistaken and this was not the proposed solution, please point it out.
--
Milian Wolff
http://milianw.de