List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    Re: [updated] Re: Markdown putting <p> around my divs
From:       John Gruber <gruber () fedora ! net>
Date:       2004-07-28 16:27:08

Mike Zornek <listguy@mikezornek.com> wrote on 07/15/04 at 4:15pm:

> .... Kill that <!-- end sidenav div --> and it works.

[Then in a follow-up:]

> On second thought.. This doesn't work as I was suspecting either. Sure the
> Hum...

You more or less answered your own question here. These issues are as-expected:

1.  Markdown does not detect HTML comments.

2.  Once you begin a block of inline HTML, e.g. by opening a
    `<div>` tag Markdown syntax formatting is suppressed until the
    HTML block is closed.

As for #1, I definitely think Markdown should be smart enough to
ignore HTML comments. I'll look into adding support for this to 1.0,
but it might have to wait for a version after 1.0.

As for #2, I'm not sure what we should do about this. In most cases,
Markdown formatting *should* be suppressed once you enter an HTML
block. But sometimes, such as in your case here, you want to write
in Markdown but wrap a section of text with a div assigning a class
or id.

This definitely won't make it for 1.0, but I'll think about a way to
allow for this after 1.0 ships. I really need to get an official 1.0
out the door, and at this point, I'm only interested in fixing bugs,
not adding features. (Ignoring HTML comments is more of a bug than a
feature, I think.)

-J.G.