List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    Re: Malformed UTF-8 Error
From:       John Gruber <gruber () fedora ! net>
Date:       2004-07-26 23:31:51

Byron <byron@texturadesign.com> wrote on 07/23/04 at 7:28am:

> I didn't find a solution in the list archive or google. Any ideas?

My guess is that you're running Perl 5.6.1, and that the post in
question contains one or more non-ASCII characters.

The problem is triggered by my using Perl's "use utf8" pragma, which
I turned on back at 1.0b7.

I'm going to turn it off for the next release (which will be
1.0fc2). In the meantime, you can either delete or comment-out the
following line near the top of Markdown.pl:

    use utf8;

and I'll bet your problems will go away. (And if I'm wrong, let me
know.)

-J.G.