List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    code blocks in blockquotes
From:       Jan Weil <Jan.Weil () web ! de>
Date:       2004-07-14 8:01:35

Hi John,

in _DoBlockQuotes you add two spaces to the beginning of each line:

    $bq =~ s/^/  /g;

This is fine if you're looking at the HTML source but causes a problem.
If you include a code block in a blockquote your indentation is mixed up
(especially the first line).
An example: I was quoting an announcement which contained an excerpt of
a ChangeLog diff. I wanted to keep the formatting so I indented the
ChangeLog part as a code block.
---8<---
> Changes since last release:
>
>        --cut--
>        +	- added bla support with super feature isn't it
>        +		 astonishing news?
>        --cut--
---8<---
Markdown's markup:
---8<---

  <pre><code>   --cut--
     +  - added bla support with super feature isn't it
     +       astonishing news?
     --cut--
  </code></pre>
---8<---

The common indentation level is lost for the first line.

Am I missing these spaces' intended purpose?
Or could you just remove them?

Regards

Jan

--