List:       markdown-discuss
Subject:    Re: syntax musings
From:       Jon Hart <jhart () starrtechmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-07 18:50:57

My 2c...

>>I see your point. I'm not qualified to comment on the "typographic
>>monstrosity" but to me this appears a little inconsequent.
>>Why do you support _bla_ at all then?

I see and use both _ and * as emphasise regularly. Im not sure what
makes me use one over the other in any situation, but I think it is
partly visual, * doenst affect the shape of the word as much as _, so it
is less emphasis. If I really need to make a strong point Ill use _ and
capitals.

As for /, I use it regularly to express alternative words, particularly
would/should. I think / could be supported for both cases, if the / is
preceeded by space and followed by a word and then another / it is
italic, otherwise leave it alone. You could get some spurious italics.
Im not sure on the authority of it, but
http://writing.englishclub.com/punctuation0.htm
slash is about halfway down ( and there is another example in the first
line ).

It is interesting to note that my email client ( Thunderbird ) is
applying style to all the _s and *s that are appearing in these emails.
Thunderbird thinks that * is emphasis, and _ is underline. However it
doesnt remove the symbol, so underlines preceed and exceed the word.

--
Jon Hart,
Starrtech Interactive,