List:       maradns-list
Subject:    [MARA] MaraDNS 1.1.42 released; answers to emails posted to the list
From:       sam+i7tq5rg () chaosring ! org
Date:       2005-06-23 5:47:57

**THIS MESSAGE ANSWERS VARIOUS EMAILS POSTED TO THE LIST**

Please read this message completely before thinking I haven't addressed
your concern.

Remmy: I have built up most of the infastructure in how data is stored
in the hash to better handle CNAME records.  In particular, a CNAME
pointing to an AAAA will be able to point to the AAAA instead of the A
record as is done now.  This should be done by 1.1.43

Daniel: MaraDNS' zoneserver has been tested with DJB's AXFR client.  Keep
        in mind that the zone_transfer_acl variable needs to allow the
	AXFR client to transfer zones before zone transfers will be
	permitted.  If things still don't work, privately email me your
	mararc file; however, I may not be able to answer the email since
	my #1 priority right now is getting all of the projected features
	in the 1.1 branch before the July 3 feature freeze.

Ken: You have brought up two concerns.  Concerning ANY queries, MaraDNS
     1.1.42 has the entire section that handles ANY queries completely
     rewritten.  ANY *should* return A and MX records in 1.0.xx; if not,
     report a bug and a patch (along with a 1.1.30 release) will find
     its way here.  Concerning the slowdown you're seeing resolving
     authoritative records when recursion is enabled, this probably
     indicates that the zone files are not correctly set up.  There is
     a reason 1.1.xx csv2 zonefiles are automagically correctly set up.
     And, oh, 1.0.28 has a couple of critical fixes that 1.0.26 doesn't
     have.  Time to upgrade; if whatever distro you're using doesn't have
     1.0.28 compiled, complain to your distribution or compile it yourself.
     I also have a binary RPM which should run on just about any x86 Linux
     system out there.

OK, now that that is out of the way, MaraDNS 1.1 has been released.

In addition to incorporating the three patches I have posted recently to
the mailing list, this version has more RFC-compliant support for ANY
records.  Basically, an ANY query will now return all of the records attached
to a given name, not just A and MX records.  To do this, I had to
completely rewrite the code which handles ANY queries; in particular,
ANY queries will probably not work with recursive queries in 1.1.42.

The infastructure in place to handle ANY queries also makes it easier to
address two long-standing issues with MaraDNS:

* CNAME records are designed to link to A records in 1.0.xx.  This can now
  be changed.

* MaraDNS can now easily be changed to send out proper NXDOMAIN responses.

I will address both of these issues for the 1.1.43 release, and make sure
ANY queries can work with recursion.  Expect a 1.1.43 this weekend sometime.

After that:

* Make sure the zoneserver can bind to an IPV6 address

* See if we have time to have fetchzone be able to optionally check the
  serial number before transferring a zone.

Then we'll have a feature freeze and will be in a testing cycle.

- Sam