List:       maradns-list
Subject:    Feature request:
From:       Sherwood Botsford <sbotsford () sjsa ! ab ! ca>
Date:       2003-12-10 18:39:35

I use maradns for local serving, and as a caching server for
the world.  Because I am connected by a slow link, often
the first time a windows client does a dns lookup, it times
out before my internal server can get an answer.

A cool feature would be for maradns to be a bit more
proactive.  Suppose that it kept a list of what had been
asked for, and checked those addresses near the time of
their expiry.

This way, the cache is preloaded for most commonly accessed
pages.

****

I wish the log file was more informative about what the
results were.  Currently it will say
Wed Dec 10 11:25:26 2003 Query from: 192.168.1.242
@stehelinfinancial.com.
Wed Dec 10 11:25:26 2003  Log: Awaiting data on port 53
Wed Dec 10 11:25:26 2003  Log: Message received, processing

But there is no indication of whether the the request timed
out, didn't exist. etc.  I would like to be able to see
from the log file: