List:       maradns-list
Subject:    Re: MaraDNS memleak found; patch included
From:       Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-05-21 18:25:53

On Tue, 21 May 2002 10:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Sam Trenholme <e8mhpsznamq001@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Some things are as difficult to find as a needle in a haystack.
>
> Take, for example, a memory leak which has been haunting me for
> three or four days now.  I finally found the cause of it; finding
> out what was going on was like finding a needle in a haystack.
> In fact, a good deal more difficult; one can find a needle in a
> haystack with a metal detector rather quickly these days.
>
> This is why a lot of software devlopers don't like to fix the
> bugs in their software; taking three days to add 10 lines
> of code doesn't seem very productive until one takes in to
> account that small code snippits like these ten lines of code
> is the difference between a software package that acts buggy
> and a software package that is stable and not buggy.

Great Sam, I'll test it right away!
Even for those who won't use maradns in a large production environment it
should be important not to have a package that leaks sockets (at one
point, the sw stops responding) or memory (at one point, the system stops
responding), so that's why I spend a great deal of time testing for these
kind of things ...

Franky