List:       maradns-list
Subject:    Re: Plans for the next MaraDNS release
From:       Joe Cooper <joe () swelltech ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 6:24:06

e8mhpsznamq001@sneakemail.com wrote:

> The next release of MaraDNS will deal with two issues which
> people have brought up here.
>
> First of all, yes the EJ format is a little strange; a lot of
> people are more comfortable working in a format they already
> know, such as docbook.  Since EJ and docbook are, in many ways,
> very similar, it should be a simple matter to make docbook2ej
> and ej2docbook filters.  Docbook is, as far as I can tell, the
> closest thing to a SGML-based standard documentation format.
> Or, perhaps, I will make ej2linuxdoc and linuxdoc2ej filters
> (I get the sense that Linuxdoc is docbook with Linux-specific
> extensions).

LinuxDoc is a tiny subset with some weirdnesses thrown in.  It is a
non-SGML format that kind of looks like SGML.  LinuxDoc is exceedingly
easy to write in for first time markup language users, but is considered
deprecated for all of the major documentation projects--there are good
reasons for this which aren't worth discussing here.  DocBook XML, which
almost completely compatible with the older DocBook SGML so don't worry
about warring formats, is the future of all of the major Open Source and
Free Software documentation projects that I keep up with.

DocBook SGML/XML is a truly wonderful markup specification, with a lot
of great free tools for processing them.  I recommend it.

LinuxDoc was a useful interim solution that worked simply and reliably
with very little study on the part of the person doing the markup.
However, it is an extremely limited format with next to no development
effort going into it.  If DocBooks large number of tags is daunting to
begin with, there is a Simplified DocBook specification, allowing
DocBook the format to be used without quite so many tags.  However, I
don't see any reason to choose the crippled DocBook over the real
thing--just use the tags you like and forget the ones you don't.

> Naturally, I don't know that much about docbook; however,
> www.linuxdoc.org or (possibly) www.docbook.org should have
> the information I am seeking.

Unfortunately, the process of /using/ DocBook is not well documented in
any one place (there is an irony in that somewhere), and the tools are a
rapidly moving target.  That said, all of the major documentation
projects do have decent docs on processing files to suit the purpose of
each project.  The FreeBSD doc folks have put together the best tutorial
I've seen so far--it is very straightforward with no tangents that
distract from the core of the problem (the problem being, "How do I turn
my marked up document into something nice to read").  The KDE folks have
also written some nice docs, and the e-Smith guys have another good
document on DocBook.

Here are some links worth reading if considering DocBook SGML or XML
(I'll reiterate that it doesn't matter which toolchain you choose, the
same document will process either in an XML or SGML toolchain with very
very few modifications--my docs required a one line modification at the
top of the file, plus a few tag-closing cleanups; about fifteen minutes
for a 250 page book).

Nik Clayton's getting SGML DocBook guide called "FreeBSD Documentation
Project Primer for New Contributors" is linked from here along with some
other relevant links about the standards and groups supporting those
standards:

http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html

Eric Bischoff, Mark Galassi and David Rugge wrote this for the KDE
folks, and it has been poked and prodded by a lot of folks on the
DocBook-tools mailing list, so it is quite solid and accurate:

http://www.caldera.de/~eric/crash-course/HTML/index.html

The Linux Documentation Project contributors guide (The HOWTO-HOWTO) is
also quite informative, but I found it left a lot of questions
unanswered and at the end of following it I did not have a processing
system that worked.  This has probably long been fixed (I started using
DocBook instead of LinuxDoc almost two years ago).  The Gnome
Documentation Project also has a few guides, but I have never read them
so can't say whether they are superior to the FreeBSD or KDE guides.  I
believe reading the FreeBSD and KDE guides, plus asking a couple of
questions on the DocBook-tools list is all that a new user would need to
do to be producing complete docs with the older SGML tool-chain.  The
newer XML toolchains are a mess, and I can't make them work right even
today--I've gotten a few to work, but reverted to SGML because the
output of DocBook XML was inferior using current tools.

And finally, DocBook: The Definitive Guide is available for free online
to provide the real definitive source for the markup language itself.
If you're comfortable with HTML, or LinuxDoc, the move to DocBook is not
a big stretch.  Just remember to close your tags (all of them, paragraph
included) and use consistent capitalization (all lower case is the best
choice, IMHO).

> The problem with TeX based systems (LaTeX; gnu's Info format,
> etc.) is that I would have to install TeX on my laptop to look
> in those kinds of systems; my hard disk is not as big as I
> would like.

TeX is cool (and is the backend for the DocBook SGML print output).
You'll need it to process DocBook into print formats (but not HTML).

I would not start a major writing project in TeX today.  DocBook is so
much better suited to the task of technical writing.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com