List:       maradns-list
Subject:    Re: another reason html email is evil
From:       Bernd Eckenfels <lists () lina ! inka ! de>
Date:       2002-02-26 3:13:43

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:52:57PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> hey sam, in case you need another reason, here it goes. html email
> invariably enables spying by mail. by using frames or images with
> targets on a remote server and your email address embedded in the url,
> any html email you receive can notify the sender exactly when and from
> where you read their email. imnsho, this is entirely unacceptable.

This is called a web bug. But it is not a problem of HTML but of the MUA. If
you use user agents like evolution, it will allow you to stop access to any
ressources outside of the HTML Mail.

Personally I think HTML is a much better text format for inter platform
communication instead of RTF. Of course ASCII Text is pretty good, also. But
sometimes you just need a bit more ways to express yourself.

Sorry for beeing offtopic :)

To get back on topic, I had maradns installed some time ago because of
serious limitations (timeout) and bugs (leaks) of former versions. Currently
debian unstable is up to 0.9.09-1, so I will give it a shot if development
slows down. I suggest to schedule some review for the code. Unfortunatelly
multi threaded solutions are not so easyly to review, but it is needed to
ensure a stable code base. Looking forward to contribute to that.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --