List:       maradns-list
Subject:    Re: Responses to emails recently sent to the list
From:       Joe Cooper <joe () swelltech ! com>
Date:       2002-02-23 22:07:00

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>>Um, mrtg does not need SNMP for anything. It just needs a piece
>>>that polls values and gives them to it. This should not be that
>>>hard to implement safely. Just FYI.
>>>
>>mrtg is generally used for SNMP results graphing.  rrdtool on the other
>>hand is designed to be used as a graphing engine for many types of date.
>> It is easily scriptable, and uses the same nifty round-robin database
>>of MRTG.
>>

> imo, toys like this should wait until after stability and
> functionality issues are addressed.

Oh, I agree, Sam probably shouldn't be (and I doubt anyone could
convince him to be) worrying about charts and graphs--but I figure if
anyone /is/ going to head down that path, they might as well start with
the right tool for the job rather than the wrong one.  I was just
pointing out the obvious that mrtg probably isnt't the right choice for
this type of task, if not using SNMP data.
--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com