List:       mapserver-dev
Subject:    Re: [mapserver-dev] Projections and CONFIG file in MapServer 8.0
From:       Even Rouault <even.rouault () spatialys ! com>
Date:       2022-07-07 14:44:40

> So the version of Proj is always fixed when compiled, and setting PROJ_LIB just \
> points to the resource files?
yes
> When using MapServer Proj7 still works fine even when pointing to a /proj/share \
> folder containing just the epsg text files, and also works when pointing to a \
> proj7/share folder containing proj.db. I'd assumed MapServer was doing some clever \
> switching between versions somewhere, but in fact proj7 is backwards compatible and \
> doesn't necessarily require proj.db - is that correct?

yes PROJ >= 6 can work, in a degraded way, without proj.db and use the
old epsg text file as a fallback. That said that setup is not really
tested in-depth, and some PROJ functionality will definitely not work
properly without proj.db. e.g morphing CRS representations between WKT
versions (ESRI WKT, WKT1, WKT2) typically looks up in the database to
get proper result (that could affect indirectly MapServer when
outputting zipped shapefiles through WFS for the content of .prj files)

--

http://www.spatialys.com