List:       mapserver-dev
Subject:    Re: [mapserver-dev] Allowing spaces in layer names (WMS/WFS)
From:       "Rahkonen Jukka (MML)" <jukka.rahkonen () maanmittauslaitos ! fi>
Date:       2015-07-03 9:24:47

Hi,

The layer/featuretype/coverage name question pops up every now and then.

- WMS and WCS 1.0 and 1.1 does not pose any limits to layer names which are strings
- WFS sets name to QName and does not allow spaces and adds some other rules as well
- WCS 2.0 defines layer name to be NCName which denies also colon

Nice to know detail is that the OGC schema of WFS 1.1.0 was accidentally written so \
that underscores are not allowed either. Schema validating software like Geoserver \
with POST requests are following the schema literally and do not accept underscores.

Here are some references from Geoserver mailing list:

http://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/32808960/
http://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/34029198/
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/WFS-GetFeature-Post-Request-td5171303.html

You should read all references and probably some others as well because gathering the \
current understanding about valid names in OGC services has been an iterative process \
and individual mails can give partly wrong information. I wonder why OGC does not \
have an comprehensive document about the issue but because such does not exist it \
would be wonderful to have an OSGeo wiki and some best practices documents which \
would make Mapserver, Geoserver, deegree, QGIS server, rasdaman and other possible \
OGC implementations to behave similarly.

-Jukka Rahkonen-