List:       mandrake-security-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Security-Discuss] Lessons learned while switching from dial-up to DSL (was Question about DSL m
From:       AAW <arnld23 () execpc ! com>
Date:       2006-03-18 17:28:02

I finally got my router's firewall straightened out by turning on its
optional IP Filtering function with the high security rule set. Now
everything comes back as blocked when scanned.

I decided to post some things I learned while switching from dial-up to
PPPoE ADSL. It may turn up on some web search and save someone else time
or trouble.

The first thing I learned was don't take your router's default settings at
face value. The default login and password, for example, are almost
certainly available from the manufacturer's website (online copies of the
user's manual, knowledge base, etc.). Also test your router's default
firewall settings at a firewall scanning site like scan.sygate.com or
www.grc.com. The factory settings may not be as secure as you'd like.

Adding an ethernet card to connect the machine to the router required
changing cups and samba configuration. The default for both is to operate
on all ethernet interfaces. I had to change references to @LOCAL
in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to @IF(eth1) to limit cups to the LAN interface
only. In /etc/samba/smb.conf, I had to add "bind interfaces only = yes"
and "interfaces = eth1" under the [global] section. Also, the Samba3
HOWTO (Chapter 9. Network Browsing > Multiple Interfaces) advised using
an explicit firewall rule to block nmbd from broadcasting on the internet
interface despite the configuration changes. In general, it would
probably be a good idea to review the configuration files and
documentation of any service running on your box.

HTH,
Arn