List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Converting Text Files between Linux and Dos/Windows
From:       Tom Brinkman <tbrinkm523 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-08-31 23:25:06

On Friday 31 August 2001 05:36 pm, Randy Kramer escribió:
> >    The only thing you might run into is /n (line feed) differences.
> > Linux does it properly, windoze doesn't. Well, cept for DOS's
> > 'edit'. If you move or copy a txt file to windoze, open it with
> > 'edit' and then save it.  Then even brain dead windoze editors will
> > be able to display it properly.
>
> Ahh, that's helpful.  I tried Notepad, Wordpad, and Word.  Word
> works, but it's a little cumbersome.
>
> Randy Kramer

  Actually it's been a long time since I ran in to the the differences
between U*nx handling of carridge returns, line feeds, new lines,
whatever, between Windoze (and everybody else) in txt files.  Linux
must be gettin more tolerant ;>

   Just thought it was worth mentioning that 'edit' in M$ products
still does it right if you save a u*nx created file with it. I suspect
it's the only M$ editor that adheres to ASCII standards. FWIW, if you
need to do batch conversions for '\n'  between U*nx and DOS (windoze),
do a Google or ftp search for 'unix2dos'.  I believe there's also
'dos2unix'.

--
	Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com