List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    [newbie] Oh boy! I done it now! (kinda long)
From:       John <Yochanon () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 20:19:34

Hey gang,

  Well, I finally got my CD with the KDE 2.2 on it. I placed everything in a
folder in my /home directory and then as root, I opened up package manager and
tried to install everything...dependency errors. Fine. I downloaded and installed
everything I needed, but kept getting this:

kdegraphics = 2.1.1-3mdk is needed by kdegraphics-devel-2.1.1-3mdk

Since I had that installed I was stumped, so I tried a suggested solution to
installing KDE 2.2... I did this in a console:

urpmi -v --auto --force *.rpm

Everything seemed to install, and I did a reboot just for the heck of it. Aurora
came up and ran like normal, but after it was done, and I get to the small window
to choose which user, I had 5 new ones, so I chose John, like normal, and kde. It
seems to do everything correctly but when the kde xwindows should come up, I get
an xterm window. I type in startx, but I get this every time:

Xlib:Connection to "0.0" refused by server
Xlib:Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up
xinit:Unable to connect to x server
xinit:no such process (errno 3): server error

Before any of that though I got a small message telling me to try removing
/tmp/.X0-lock and restart...I did, but it made no difference.

I'd really like to get back into my Linux, especially since I haven't backed-up
my customer db yet. Does anyone have a clue if this is possible without reloading
Linux? I have also tried getting into the gui from the console and cli, but it
comes up with the same stuff I wrote above. I sure would appreciate any help with
this guys...I hate having to boot into windows!

Thanks in advance.

John

Yochanon@yahoo.com on 31/08/2001

 Use Linux for freedom!**