List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Console Mail Readers
From:       Brendan <coolian () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-08-29 21:35:21

Yeah, it uses Pico for its' editing, but is really not bad for all-around
ASCII mail handling.  Large volumes of mail make Pine look like driving a
Model T on the Autobahn though.  Just not capable (realistically) of sorting
through large chunks of mail. Besides, Pine Is Not Elm.

> The major difference between Pine and Elm is that Pine has its own, simple,
> editor for writing emails. Elm uses vi (or whatever else you want to set up
> in the config file).
>
> While I'm here, I have a question about console based mail readers. For the
> people that use them, how do you keep up with large amounts of mail in a
> short time, like this mailing list? I originally started using elm and
> found that it was such a pain to keep on top of my mail and keep it
> organized that I switched over to kmail.

I use Eudora on Windows and Kmail on Linux, so a console-based reader seems
positively anemic for me, sometimes.  The lack of the mouse, for sorting
through large chunks of mail doesn't work for me. Pine is great for xterms
and when you can only dial in over a modem to your system. I also hacked
together a quick way to access my Eudora mail from Pine.

1.) Create a folder in Pine
2.) shell out to the system and cat the contents of your Eudora mailbox onto
the tail end of the Pine folder entry, like this:
'cat foo.mbx >>pinefoofolder'
3.) Go into Pine and open up that folder, it should contain all of the mail
from Eudora.

Sorry for the rant.
Brendan
Linux-Mandrake 8.1 Beta 2/Win98SE