List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Pls help me!
From:       Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <eindiog () pnm ! com>
Date:       2001-07-13 14:38:26

On Friday 13 July 2001 22:02, AOL Systems wrote:
> To whom it may concern
>
> I just want to know something about postgreSQL

There is HTML documentation in some doc directory after you install Postgres.
 That is a good place to start.

> 1. how to create tables?

create table <table name> ( ......

It is on the documentation.

> 2.how to populate tables?

insert into <table name> .......

see the documentation.

> 3.where to get resources aside from postgreSQL.com,.org,.net

www.postgresql.org,   www.greatbridge.org .......   Subscribe to mailing
lists and visit the newsgroups.  Do google searches.

There are books e.g. www.amazon.com.  On www.postgresql.org is a complete
HTML version of a book out there plus several manuals.

> 4.how to see the GUI side of it i really cannot find the GUI of Postgre?

There is a GUI, but that is a separate install.  I have never installed it.
I think that it is browser based PHP application.

This is not much, but it might help you get started.

BTW, Postgres is a very powerfull RDBMS.  You need to learn it well before
you can exploit its many features, but it is well worth it.

Eric Indiogine
PNM