List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Lack of "enable" and "disable" commands afterinstalling
From:       Arved Sandstrom <asandstrom () accesswave ! ca>
Date:       2007-01-28 22:46:34

----- Original Message -----
From: "ET" <etharp@earthlink.net>
To: <newbie@mandrivalinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Lack of "enable" and "disable" commands
afterinstalling CUPS via tarball

> grumpypenguin wrote:
>> On Saturday 27 January 2007 12:59, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>> Hello, all
>>>
>>> Situation in a nutshell - I knowingly and under no duress installed
>>> Mandriva from the first CD of the powerpack 2006. That is, that's all I
>>> downloaded. I knew that that would mean work down the road, but I sort
>>> of
>>> wanted that, in order not to get lots of stuff I didn't need.
>
> Just for future reference, (and kinda sorry about answering in-line)

Why be sorry about the standard way of answering a Usenet post? :-)

> there is even a more economical way, get the boot.iso and burn it. it sets
> up mirrors for main and contrib sources during and after the install, and
> downloads only the programs you want to install, no 650 meg ISO before
> install download. but  do it however -you- like to do it...
>
>>> More or less it's worked out OK. I can develop on the Linux side, which
>>> is
>>> the main thing. But I'd dearly like to be able to print on the Linux
>>> side
>>> also. Back in the day I tried to get an earlier version of CUPS to
>>> recognize a HP DeskJet - that was heinous, and so I gave it up. As I
>>> understand it, though, in this day and age it ought not to be a problem
>>> have Mandriva grok a LaserJet 1014.
>>>
>>> I installed CUPS through a tarball (I have been forced to stop using
>>> RPMs
>>> because of the ridiculous dependency problem - I even get complaints
>>> about
>>> missing shared libs when the thing is actually in place under the
>>> correct
>>> name in the correct directory, so I said to hell with rpmdrake and
>>> urpmi).
>>> I have gotten to the stage where at least one of the print utilities
>>> supplied with Mandriva detects the HP printer. Using lpstat does the
>>> same.
>>> However, I am not able to enable the printer to actually print, because
>>> there is no "enable"/"disable" command pair anywhere on my machine, as
>>> the
>>> web sites avow there must be.
>>>
>>> Lacking the "enable" and "disable" commands, what exactly should I do?
>> is HLIP installed?
>>> Regards,
>>> AHS
>
> AHS, you install some way you decide should work, and don't want to
> install more, but complain if installing more is what it takes to get the
> system to do what you desire?

Well, I wouldn't put it quite that way. :-)

I did want to have a minimal install, so that when I added stuff I wished to
have I'd be very aware that I got it and installed it. For the most part
this approach has worked out fine.

As I say, I am a bit bedevilled with using RPMs because not infrequently the
utilities (command line or GUI) complain that a shared library doesn't
exist, when I know damned well that it does, and it's in the right place. I
don't have a solution for this other than to use tarballs in some cases.

> I take it you must have very limited bandwidth to download?
> and downloading the complete media description from the mirror for main
> and contrib and the related backports and updates takes more than you can
> justify? it's less than 100 megs total if you get the big full discription
> files, but I seem to recall, there is a method to use a lighter file that
> provides less information per file.
>
> you did go to easyurpmi.zarb.org or one of the other easyurpmi mirror
> configuration sites and set up the sources for your version and arch?

My download bandwidth is fine. I don't think twice about 25 MB or 50 MB
downloads to get a piece of software. I also am up to date on the stuff you
mention - the media descriptions. Getting and installing stuff by RPM, using
rpmdrake or rpm or urpm*, is not the issue.

In this specific case, what occurred is that I got the CUPS tarball, and all
the sources I found said that at a certain point, use the "enable" command.
And there were no such programs. That was what my question was about.

I saw your note about HPLIP, and have downloaded it. It seems to be the
solution.

AHS