List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Cannot get program to start
From:       RickS <irsissz () wowway ! com>
Date:       2006-09-18 23:27:58

Neill Jones (neilljones@yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
[...]
> "rehash" is relevant if you are using tcsh (I though it was used
> in bash too, but doesn't seem to be) - it rereads all of the
> PATH directories to compile a database of what programs are
> available and where. You don't necessarily need it (I think after
> a logout and back in it
> will be updated) but it means that if you are using tcsh the
> commands will now be found without you needing to kill the shell
> and start a new one.
Bash does have a hash table of recently used commands and stores
the full paths to each: e.g.
ricks@peace: ~ $ hash                                                                 \
 hits    command
1    /bin/vim
2    /usr/bin/man
3    /bin/ls
1    /usr/bin/clear

man bash and search for Command Execution,
Just in case anyone was wondering ;)
--
~RickS
If someone invented instant water, what would they mix it with?