List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Hyper-threading rocks
From:       ET <etharp () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2006-09-18 10:46:58

Miark wrote:
> I asked about HT recently and somebody (ET perhaps?) asked me to
> report back as to whether or not I felt it makes a difference in
> performance. All's I can say is "HELL, ya!" I can see it
> especially in how Firefox operates, and how multimedia performs
> when I'm other things at the same time.
>
> My one complaint to Mandriva is that when I run win4lin using
> the smp win4lin kernel, my computer dies every time. Gotta stick
> to UP for that. Fortunately I don't need it often.
>
> Miark
> Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
> Go to http://store.mandriva.com
> Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

Problbily me, I have long enjoyed SMP computing in Linux, and known how
bad it sucks in M$ products (before XP anyway). I have not yet sprung
for a HT cpu, but have had a dual cpu motherboard since about 1999, when
I saw how much better Linux programs with an smp kernel run, I was sold
on Linux. I used to show friends how long it took to burn a cd in winME,
(never can see 2 cpus) and then with MDK 7.2, where we could burn a CD,
play games download another CD and run a webserver all at once.

--
reg. Linux User 167806
webhome http://ed-tharp.is-a-geek.org