List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Re: libXinerama.so.1
From:       RickSisler <irsissz () wowway ! com>
Date:       2006-02-26 16:16:17

Burgess, Don (deburgess@asbury.edu) wrote:
> I am currently running Mandrake 9.2 and I have the libXinerama.a
> library.  However, a new version of the Sandia "Cubit" software
> links to libXinarama.so.1 and will not run on my workstation.  Is
           is this ^  spelling correct (if so,
           disregard the rest of this post, no relevance).
> there a way for me to update to libXinerama.so.1 by using say the
> urpm tool?
>
> thank you,
> don burgess
Don,
I'm currently running 2006.0, Xinerama comes from the Xorg package's
and I think 9.2 used/uses XFree86 ...so trying to *urpmi* the package
will not help you, but *hinder* and most likely *break* it.

If you know howto re-build from SRPM's, you could try that. It might
work but I honestly don't think it will build since, back then,
there was a complete transition to Xorg around version 10 to 10.2.

Since your using an older version and want a newer version of this
software, I would recommend upgrading to 2006, if you can.
2006 has those libraries,

$> locate libXinerama
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so

$> rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1
libxorg-x11-6.9.0-5.2.20060mdk

HTH
--
RickS