List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: Snipping Messages WAS Re: [newbie] pc reboots after shutdown
From:       "H.J.Bathoorn" <triade-lists () zeelandnet ! nl>
Date:       2006-02-24 11:04:42

On Friday 24 February 2006 11:25, John Clarke wrote:
>  On Friday 24 February 2006 05:50, Heikki Pesonen wrote:
>  > Dear John,
>  > why did you copy everything to your answer (as I do here) so that we
>  > had to read twice the whole story to reach your kind one line long
>  > answer?
>
>  <snipped so that nobody else knows what I'm talking about> :-)
>
>  Because it is normal practice to include the question to which you are
>  answering. It would be meaningless to others to see a one line e mail
> which contained an answer but no question.

I think we need to look at how Heikki's question was stated: He's asking why
you're __ copying __ the original question, so from that I gather he's not as
as familiar with mailer options as we are and well as that he's using gmail
which doesn't allow too much in answering options either.

>  Also this list is archived and searchable, therefore at some future date
>  another list member might wish to search the archive and see both the
>  original question and the answer offered without having to follow the
> thread backwards to find the question, It is sometimes considered good
> practice to snip a long message which contains the original question
> followed by several follow-ups although it is to the judgement of the
> person replying as to where to snip the message so that the context is not
> lost.

It would be nice if people snipped a little more. Only recently I again saw a
thread where some one had pasted his whole "dmesg" output in the message, and
it kept being repeated indiscriminately.

We all should be more carefull not to hi-jack or let the thread s get too long
(on OT or side subjects) thus making the list-archives less usefull.
Peronally I've stopped trying to search the newbie archives by subject when
confronted with a problem ....... it's a disaster area. :-(

--
Good luck,
HarM