List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] USB Micro Drive
From:       David <taylord-angwyn () clear ! net ! nz>
Date:       2005-06-30 22:14:55

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:08:17 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> David wrote:
> > I purchased myself a 128mb USB Micro Drive today that is suitable
> > for kernel 2.4.0 and better however when I plug it in it appears
> > not to be recognised, however DiskDrake does list it.
> >
> > The blurb that comes with the drive says that if in the event that
> > the drive is not recognised then i should add a line (which they
> > give) to 'usbmgr.conf'. The blurb says that this is usually in /etc/
> > usbmgr - but may vary with distribution.
> >
> > I have looked and looked but can not find anything that says
> > 'usbmgr' or its like.
> >
> > My real live guru was coming down earlier (he got called into town
> > by his mother-in-law.... as he said he dare not say no to her) but
> > will no doubt be here tomorrow, to help me on this. In the meantime
> > if anyone knows where I can find this folder/file would appreciate
> > you passing your knowledge on to me.
> >
> > (for those in this part of the world it is a DSE USB 2.0 Micro Drive
> > (XH8250))
> >
> > TIA
> >

> It probably needs to be added to /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap. This file,
> along with usb.handmap and usb.usermap control what get done when a
> usb device is plugged in. If the first thing on the matching line is a
> module, that module is loaded. If it is a script in /etc/hotplub/usb,
> then the script is run. For USB storage devices, you usualy want to
> run the usb-storage script.
>
> Mikkel

Thank you Mikkel, will discuss this with my in the flesh guru when he
comes down latter as I think I know what to do but will run it past him
just to be sure. In the meantime have done what was suggested by Derek
and that is working fine, so if I add the info to the usb.distmap as
well one should back up the other.

E. David I. Taylor, Taranaki, New Zealand - (RLU #389384)
'the place to be - beneath the Mountain, beside the Sea'

this mail originates from a Linux/Open Source computer featuring
Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586 kernel
2.6.11-6mdk & @  10:14:34 up 19 days, 46 min,  1 user,  load average:
1.03, 1.09, 1.06

          ------ A random thought/quote: ------
   I have never been one to sacrifice my appetite on the altar of
appearance. -- A.M. Readyhough

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com