List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] access
From:       "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel () infinity-ltd ! com>
Date:       2005-06-28 2:56:08

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> As I mentioned, I soloved the ping problem, though I must admit I'm not sure
> how now that you commented on it.  However, I still can't do an smbmount from
> either linux box to the other, even when all the firewalls are off there's no
> login or r/w restrictions, everyone's on the same workgroup, etc.
> I must be missing something, but I haven't a clue.

Dumb question time:

Did you make sure smbd was running on the machine you are trying to
connect to?

Did you try to use smbclient to get a list of shares on the machine you
are trying to connect to?

smbclient -L <machine name>

When trying to mount shares using smbmount, did you use root, or another
user as the username in the Samba connection?

Also, you normaly do not use smbmount directly. To manualy mount a
share, you would run something like:
[root@mikkel ~]# mount -t smbfs -o username=mikkel,password=password \
//mikkel/Backup /mnt/Samba/

(You can put it all on one line, and skip the \.)
One other thing to be aware of - if you are using the default user level
access of Samba, and you have not set up any users with Samba passwords,
then you are going to have a hard time connecting to any shares excpte
ones that allow guest access.

You may also want to run smbtree. It should show you all the shares on
the system, even if you can not connect to them.

Mikkel

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com