List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] OT - Lifespan of a laptop
From:       JR <turnloosetheswans () eircom ! net>
Date:       2005-06-05 10:50:51

On Sunday 05 June 2005 12:39 am, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Saturday 04 June 2005 06:24 pm, Aron Smith wrote:

> > > I find this interesting, because the directions for the Li-Ion pack for
> > > my Thinkpad recoment doing a full cycle to full discharge, and then
> > > full recharge every 3 months. The instructions for the Ni-Cad recoment
> > > doing it at least monthly. I am not sure about systems using Ni-MH
> > > batteries...

> > > I have a Toshiba 400CDT that is starting to die - the bottem 1" of the
> > > display sometimes goes gray. Other then that, and the fack that it so
> > > limmited by todays standards, it is still going strong. (P-75, 40Mb RAM
> > > and 800Mb drive. No USB, No cardbus support, no 3.3v PCMCIA cards.) The
> > > strange thing is that the battery is still good for 2 hours.
> > >
> > > My brother-in-law has a Compaq laptop that is even older. 486
> > > processor, and 8Mb of RAM. It is still up and running. When he gets
> > > tired of it, I am thinking of turning it into a firewall. The batteries
> > > are only good for about 5 minutes on that one, so it isn't too partable
> > > any more.
> > >
> > > Mikkel
> >
> > I just bought a Fujitsu lifebook P7010 and so far am impressed with it
> > (except getting the Centrino wireless to work with linux)
>
> I bought an HP zv5360 Pavilion laptop and am totally surprised with it. It
> has all onboard functions working in linux.  The video, cd burner, pcmcia
> cards, onboard wlan, onboard nic, onboard modem all work and seem to work
> well. Using ndiswrapper for the wlan card. Battery is only good for 2 to 3
> hours but that's ok I don't run on battery much. Hope it lasts at least 5
> years.
Looks like I did get a dud. Thanks for the feedback folks. When I got my
laptop, I'd never really used the net or anything so I'll have the advantage
of research this time. Surprisingly though, I havent found any specific
gripes about my laptop on the net (bar the battery).

Jarlath

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com