List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    [newbie] Gnome2.8 problem
From:       Keith Powell <keith () keithg4jvx ! force9 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-28 21:10:07

In trying to sort the problem, I messed things up altogether and Gnome would
not start.

So I uninstalled Gnome completely, and reinstalled all from Thac's packages.

Now, Nautilus starts and then I get an error message:

There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:
Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occurred.

Gnome will try to restart the Settings daemon next time you log in.

But I just get this message each time.

There is no Nautilus desktop.

Incidentally, it would not install the Gnome-Control-Center normally. I had to
force its installation.

And I did want to try the new Gnome :(

Help, please, someone.

Keith