List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] How to switch from one linux partition to another?
From:       "Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina () libero ! it>
Date:       2004-11-30 10:37:38

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>On my 40 Gigabyte hard disk I used to have two partitions:
>one (30 GB) containig Windows 98 and the other (10 GB) with Linux Mandrake
>9.1.
>Now I created a third partition with another 10 GB token off Windows,
>and in it I installed successfully Mandrake Community 10.1.
>When I boot the system I can only enter Mandrake 10.1.
>How to access my dear old 9.1?

From within the new partition I did the following procedure
(x is the old partition device number):

1) # mkdir /mnt/linux2

2) # mount /dev/hdax /mnt/linux2

3) In the file /mnt/linux2/etc/lilo.conf I changed the line
	 boot=/dev/hda
   into
	 boot=/dev/hdax

4) I got into linux2 root:
   # chroot /mnt/linux2 /bin/bash

5) , and there
   # lilo -v

6) I got back to the new partition root, and at the end of the file
   /etc/fstab I added the line
	 /dev/hdax /mnt/linux2 ext3 defaults 1 2
   ; then at the end of the file /etc/lilo.conf I added the following:
	 image=/mnt/linux2/boot/vmlinuz
		 label="linux2"
		 root=/dev/hdax
		 initrd=/mnt/linux2/boot/initrd.img
		 append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hday splash=no"
		 vga=788
		 read-only
   , where 'y' in hday should be the swap partition device number.

7) # lilo -v -t

8) # lilo

Everything seems to have gone well,
now when booting I can choose if going into linux or linux2,
and the new partition has not modified the old one,
except for one thing:
in the old partition I have to reinstall the modem,
i.e. rerun the modem driver.
Why? Does anybody know?
Is the above procedure correct?
Maybe a bug in Mdk 10.1 Community (the new partition OS)?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com