List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] No video card certified for 10.1 x86-64
From:       Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-11-28 2:07:18

On Saturday 27 November 2004 03:38 pm, Gilligan wrote:
> Tried using Mandrake hardware support site and found there are NO certified
> video cards for 10.1 x86-64. Real Bummer.
> Guess that means 64bit won't run on any computer. :))

Gilligan:

It more likely means that the hardware database is less than comprehensive,
and stipulating that the card be certified further reduces your chances of a
match. Bear in mind that certification requires that a sample be submitted to
Mandrake for testing, and this takes time and money.

I did some playing around with Mandrake's hardware database. As you probably
learned, your card _is_ certified for 9.2 and 10.0, but not 10.1 -- either 32
or 64 bit. That leads me to believe that ATI may eventually have their cards
certified for 10.1; perhaps the certification is currently underway.

I also ran a search to see if there were any video cards certified for 10.1
x86-64: Nada. OK, sez I, show me everything that is in the database about
video cards for 10.1 x86-64 regardless of compatibility status. Zilch.

But when I asked the database to show me all video cards by any manufacturer
and never mind the status for version 9.2, there were 17 hits -- all of them
certified. Conclusions: (1) If it isn't certified, it probably isn't in the
database. (2) None of the video card manufacturers have completed
certification testing. Whether or not any of them will do so is unknown.

-- cmg

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com