List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    [newbie] Mdk 8.2 + Cedega 4.1.1 = ?
From:       David Reynolds <naeblis () kc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2004-11-27 16:37:22

I've got a fairly outdated system that I've never had great cause to update,
but now my family would like it if I could play games like Diablo II with
them. I've had less than fantastic luck with Winex, but I don't know per se
whether that's because of my Mandrake being so old compared to the newest
Cedega, or basic user errors, or what. Other people seem to have little to no
trouble running the program.

It's given me a variety of errors: started out with page faults/general
exceptions, then locked the entire display (no Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, even) in
full-screen mode once I did get it running. Pushed it to windowed 800x600 on
a 1024x768 screen, it ran the install just fine (barring some FreeType
errors), but then tried to load the v1.10 patch into my home directory
instead of the .transgaming/c_drive folder with the rest of it, and
subsequently couldn't find it. My video card is a GeForce2 MX, but Diablo
isn't that power-intensive; it's just running into other errors separate from
pure display issues.

Processor: AMD Duron 900 MHz
Memory: 256MB
Video Card: nVidia geForce DDR (generic)
OS release: 2.4.18-6mdk (Mandrake Linux release 8.2)

Anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to upgrade this machine to 10.1 OE if it
seems like it'll help, although at this point I may just try to get them to
convert to NWN....

Thanks in advance,
David
--