List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] pre upgrade questions [9.0 to 10.0]
From:       "H.J.Bathoorn" <triade-lists () zeelandnet ! nl>
Date:       2004-09-30 22:41:49

On Friday 01 October 2004 00:19, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 00:21, Stephen Kühn wrote:
> > Two words:
> >
> > CLEAN INSTALL
>
> so that would involve reformatting both drives?

No, just the existing "/" and maybe "/usr" partitions. Leave all the others as
they are!

> If so, then I guess I'm in for a long backup session first... How should
>
> I go about it? Could someone address these concerns for me?:
> > What kind of backup should I do first, just in case anything goes
> > wrong? I'm guessing, simply copy anything that's in /home/merlin, but
> > where else are things kept that I need to back up? What about Mozilla,
> > Pan and Evolution - where do they keep their files? Is there a Linux
> > equivalent of the registry that I should back up? [and would it work
> > with 10.0 anyway?]

They're all in your home directory i.e. "/home" partition.

> and something I just thought of:
> How do I get my mail back into Evolution after the
> backup/reformat/reinstall process?

They'll still be there if you haven't formatted your "/home" partition

> Oh, and I just thought of another thing:
> If I have to reformat my Windows drives, should I reinstall windows
> first before installing Mandrake 10.0? And, I seem to recall there's
> something about NTFS that makes it so Linux and Windows can't access the
> same files - so should I take the opportunity and redo Windows in FAT32
> or something?

Whatever you want, but I'd leave everything "as is" and use the FAT32 a a sort
of transit-space from ext3 to ntfs and back.
--
Good luck,
HarM

["message.footer" (text/plain)]