List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Identifying people by IP
From:       Mike Fehse <awev1 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 23:35:58

--- Paul Smith <phhs80@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I am looking for a program to collect all the
> information possible about an
> Internet user, given the IP he/she is using.
>
> Thank you a lot in advance!
>
> Paul

In addition to the "whois" suggested by others, you
may want to look at the tools included with most DNS
packages.  Some of them can be quite helpful.

One problem you may encounter is that if someone surfs
to my_website.com, and you capture the IP address, and
then do a look-up, you may find out that the IP
address points to virtual_host.net, and not
my_website.com  Same thing with tracking dial-in
accounts, right now the person connected to
192.168.100.1 may not be the same person 10 minutes
from now, while the broadband connections tend to
maintain the IP address for a longer period of time,
they are still dynamic by nature.