List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] USB 2.0 compliant
From:       John Richard Smith <BAGSOFCHOICE () oldtolley ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-28 22:30:11

Littlefish Operator wrote:

> Well, as the case may be that reader is currently plugged into a 9.0 box
> (which I'm hoping to upgrade this week).
>
> I didn't do anything particularly fancy to hook it up.  Created an entry in
> /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0

Yep , this is automount
I use automount.Mine looks like this,
/dev/sda1 /mnt/reader vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
Not sure where I got it from.

> And a /mnt/cf directory.  On the KDE desktop I created a new floppy device and \
> pointed it at device /dev/sda1 (no supermount), called it 'ImageMate' and treat the \
> cards like floppy disks.
I did the same only I took the creat cdrom device route
for my desktop icon.

> I don't think it involved anymore than that, but I do see I've also got:
>
> scsi_hostadapter
>
> in /etc/modules and:
>
> probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

I didn't think this had to do with the  reader. I don't know though.

> in /etc/modules/conf.  I think those two entries may have been part of the deal.
>
> The card reader is a Sandisk USB Imagemate 6 in 1 card reader.  I've never
> actually tried reading anything other than CompactFlash.  I think the other card \
> slots show up as other /dev/sd? devices.  I only wish it came as an internal floppy \
> bay mount instead of an external plug in.  Never had any problems reading/writing \
> flash cards.  Just the same stupid kernel warnings when ever there's no card in it: \

My 6 in 1 reader is
PQI Travel Flash multifunction Flash Drive
Wasn't very expensive either.
I like it.
Though smart cards are on their way out in UK,
It's something called XD, I think, used in newer Cameras
Still, it means anyone who comes around can have their snaps
done up on my computer regardless of the make of camera.
No faffing around trying to make cameras recognised
just for a few hours.

John

--
John Richard Smith