List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] linux-out to lunch
From:       robin <robin () bilkent ! edu ! tr>
Date:       2003-11-30 21:18:39

Mike Adolf wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 08:08 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
>
>>On Sunday 30 Nov 2003 12:28 pm, JoeHill wrote:

>>>BTW, were the two usernames the same? I've never tried to create two
>>>users with the same name, I'm not sure how the system would react with
>>>that. I've certainly never run into this problem creating a new user with
>>>a *different* name before.
>>
>>I'm coming in a bit late here, but can I assume the Original Poster
>>reinstalled their system without reformatting their /home?
>>
>>When you do that it is important to add the users in precisely the same
>>order or else the user will have a different UID/GID and will not own their
>>own home directory.
>>
>>The installer will add users beginning with UID 501, but userdrake will add
>>a user starting from UID 500
>>
>>The solution is not to change the perms to 777, but to change the UID/GID
>>on all the folders in /home
>>
>>derek
>

> derek,
>
> You hit the nail on the head!  Long, long time ago when I first installed MDK,
> I set up a second user for my wife.  However, she wanted nothing to to with
> linux.  Since then, it was necessary to reinstall linux (no reformatting) and
> I only created one user.  Now that our windows half is down, waiting on a new
> modem, she thinks linux might me OK for getting her mail.  So, I used
> userdrake to set up a second user by the same original name; and I thought
> the home directory was just created then.  Wrong. It was the old one from
> before with a UID=502 (as expected since done on an install).  Anyway, I just
> trashed the directory and made a new user using userdrake.  It used UID= 500.
> All is well.
>
> I do feel that the different numbering schems should be cleared up in the next
> release.

In similar situations, I've found something like "chown -R fred
/home/fred" to work.  In fact, if you're dealing with lots of users, you
could probably write a script to do it automatically.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi