List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Mandrake Club (Troll)
From:       David Reynolds <naeblis () kc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-05 16:53:19

> On Sunday 05 Jan 2003 11:45 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > I don't know why it's so hard to concieve of people out there who can
> > pay but don't.  That is the thrust of all this.  If the person doesn't
> > have the finances, then they need the advantage of a free download and
> > virtually no cost.  That's the whole reason why the free download and
> > virtual no cost option exists; the poor folks.  I thought that was a
> > forgone conclusion and not something that needed to be elaborated on.
> >
> > We aren't talking about the poor folks here.  We're talking about the
> > freeloaders.  The point that is being made that free software is not
> > free; there's blood and sweat going into this distro, there's people
> > that loved and worked for this company, and had to be sacrificed for the
> > sake of the survival of the distro, and there's the survivors going home
> > every night from Mandrake wondering seriously about their future and
> > their groceries. Plus they are working their asses off cause there
> > aren't enough people there to handle the workloads anymore; *that*
> > happens to be the NOT FREE part. For those that have the finances and
> > are making use of Mandrake every day without giving anything back,
> > that's called freeloading.  The real arrogance around here is taking
> > somebody else's hard earned blood work and using it to your advantage
> > when you have the money to supply support but don't when people are
> > being laid off and the Mandrake club is out there for the cost of a
> > magazine subscription.

I don't understand this either. Yes, there will be a few some people out there
who genuinely can't afford it, and hardship circumstances should be a
contingency.
But Mandrake isn't that expensive. A magazine subscription, ONE dinner out, a
couple of movies, a new hardback book... is that really so much to ask
someone to give up for supporting something they believe in? Sure, it's
'free' and open source, but the economy of the 1990s that led to the huge
surge in OSS isn't there anymore; business models need to be viable today in
order to continue. If you like what Mandrake does, both with software and
corporate policy, then support them. Otherwise - of course there are other
distros out there.

My next investment is either 9.0 once the boxed set arrives here in the
heartland, or waiting for my gf's cd burner to arrive and burning my own
copy, then using the money I would have spent on the box into the Club.

Regards,
David Reynolds
--
Three things which bring dignity to a person:
 discretion in their speech;

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com