List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Monitor setup
From:       David Reynolds <naeblis () kc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-05 16:40:41

On Sunday 05 January 2003 09:29 am, David Robertson stated:
> With regard to the monitor, the manual should give the horizontal and
> vertical frequencies, so those can be entered in the "custom" monitor
> settings.
>
> David

I have a sort of weird situation; I didn't know it was possible to overclock a
monitor, but that's what I was doing to the old one. It was about 7 years
old, part of a factory system with my 2nd computer, and when I switched to
Linux (Mdk 8.1, 900 MHz, nVidia card, etc) I kept the monitor. It seemed to
be working fine, and I didn't need the extra expense. Except...

Occasionally if I actually shut the monitor down and left it overnight, the
system would freeze unrecoverable. The monitor acted like it was getting no
signal, and there was no way to kill the X-server and recover it; I had to
cold boot, which invariably caused a fsck. The strange bit was that if I left
the monitor on and let it go to standby/sleep, it would be fine the next
morning. So I learned to leave it on. Uptimes stood around a month or so,
barring the occasional thunderstorm or vacation.

It finally started screwing around whether I shut it off or not, so I got a
new monitor; I was tired of dealing with a 14" anyway.

So I got a new-to-me monitor, but there is no manual. It's a Dell/Sony
Trinitron 17" (Model D1726T-HS). I've found some documentation online for it
but dealing with "new" hardware isn't something I've really had to get a grip
on before (I still haven't even bothered to get my nVidia card working).

I managed to completely mangle my XFree86 configuration last night, and then
got it working again under 800x600x16m, which is where I was at before
(though without the overclocking, thankfully). When I first set it up I got a
virtual screen - larger than my display. I was aiming for 1024x768, and
apparently that is what I got...sort of. Alt-Ctrl +/- got me into a stable
situation, and I had to resave the session a few times.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to resolve this without trashing
my XFree86 setup again?

Thanks in advance,
David Reynolds
--