List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Re: WARNING (OT)  Destructive Software on multiboots, Jetway
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-22 9:59:46

civileme wrote:

> Well, I will say this once then shut up.
>
> Sorry John Rigby, I don't agree.  I think your philosophies are warped
> and skewed from reality.
>
> For a long time businesses were closed communities.  Everyone followed
> what some people studying Henry Ford had concluded: that precise control
> was THE way to go.  It didn't matter.  The Old Boy Networks and the
> rigid philosophies almost worldwide combined to make the business a
> field like a watershed empire.  Absolutely unassailable as long as they
> had the money to squash any competition that did not follow the same
> paradigm (and was therefore perceived as dangerous).
>
> Then along came W. Edwards Deming.  He suggested that the use of
> statistics could improve efficiency, cut costs, make workers more
> productive by including them in decision-making processes, etc.  He was
> of course laughed out of the country of origin, the US, where the worst
> of the business rot was entrenched.
>
> Well, General Douglas MacArthur decided Deming could be the man to help
> Japan rebuild their shattered industrial base.  They accepted the
> methods and the training, and the beat the rest of the world to its
> knees in the 1980s as a result, but of course as businesses go the
> weakness of rigidity of approach set in, and others started using the
> philosophy, so the degree of success apparently diminished.
>
> But there is a contractor in Hawaii where the number of construction
> mistakes is tiny compared to any others in the world.
>
> There is a school in Alaska where in four years they went form a 40% 'F'
> grade to 94% 'A's, and the courses in the mean time had acquired
> objectives and purposes that were four or five times as difficult.
>
> A global chemical company went from mildly profitable to doubling its
> revenue in four years, with no increase in staffing and only minor
> increases in expenses.  The degree of worker satisfaction (as measured
> by Monday morning absenteeism and turnover) apparently doubled.
>
> I fear that most people in business are looking for a quick profit. They
> think ahead five minutes to a few months, and they abandon any approach
> that does not immediately show a return.  Sorry, sometimes the more
> efficient and trechnically correct approach takes longer.  This is just
> another fact.
> And the fact that these same businessmen seem to find so hard to swallow
> that they ignore it completely is that software makers have very few
> assets.  They try to erect barriers to protect _controllable_ assets
> with software patents and secrecy and have made a horrid mess and a
> genuine embarassment, so laughably far from reality that eventually only
> soldiers and bullets will be able to make any semblance of enforcement.
> The true assets in software industry are _people_; of the highly skilled
> and admittedly perhaps specially talented type.  Businessmen shake in
> fear when they pause to reflect that every night their assets walk out
> [...]

I would just like to add my 2p worth -

Having run a small business (24 employees) in a difficult sector,
according to my ethical beliefs, I know what enormous pressure
management is under.  The 'business world' still expect you to conform
to their standards, while you try to meet your own requirements of
long-term goals and ethical employment.  It's no joke, believe me.

That's why I am supporting MandrakeSoft.  It doesn't cost much to be a
small shareholder.  If you believe in their goals and haven't considered
this support for them, please look at it.  There's only a few days left.

Anne

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com