List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Samba - Half there?
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-30 19:10:04

Quote from O'Reilly's Samba book:

"If you are presented with a dialog requesting the password for a user
IPC$, then Samba did not accept the password that was sent from the client."

I presume this means that the client m/c sent the Win login and
password, but it was refused, so requesting a new one?

It goes on to say

"If you are using Windows 98 or Windows NT Service Pack 3 or above, this
is probably because the client is sending encrypted passwords instead of
plaintext passwords.  You can remedy this situation by performing two
steps on the Samba server.  First, add the following entry to the
[global] section of your Samba configuration file:  encrypt
password=yes.  Second, find the smbpasswd program on the samba
server...and use it to add an entry to Samba's encrypted password
database.  For example, to add user steve to Samba's encrypted password
database, type smbpasswd -a steve.  The first time you enter this
password, the program will output an error message indicating that the
password database does not exist;  it will then create the database..."

I presume that Webmin added the users to the encrypted password list.
Just to be sure, I tried adding Andy and Micky as advised.  It didn't
say 'I already know about them', but it didn't cure it either.

Anne

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com