List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: Fw: [newbie] making a file from a man doc
From:       Brendan <coolian () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2002-02-19 5:51:35

I seem to remember seeing it somewhere...Let me go look for it...

Hmmmmm, if you speak Spanish, here is something for man2txt:
#!/usr/bin/perl

#Por C2H5OH (aka etanol).
#Copyleft 2001. GNU General Public License.

#Comunicar bugs a linuxdummybudy@yahoo.es

sub muestra_ayuda
{
         print "Sintaxis: \tman2txt alias outfile\n";
         print "\t- alias: es el nombre de la página man (p.e: fork).\n";
         print "\t- outfile: el nombre del fichero de salida en formato
texto.\n";
         print "\n";
         exit(1);
}

#Pal que no entienda esto: man man; man bash
open (IN, "man -P \"cat -v\" $ARGV[0] 2>/dev/null |") and
open (OUT, ">$ARGV[1]") or muestra_ayuda;

while (<IN>) {
         s/.\^H//g;
         s/M\-{2}/\-/;
         print OUT;
}
close IN;   #Y ya que tenemos buenos modales ;)
close OUT;

Found here: http://bulmalug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1028
Got to love the penguin picture...

Another page had this:
http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/22/9.html

Looks like Windows programs...

Or, this command could work:
man [progname] | col -b > progname.man.txt

Found this somewhere else:
#!/bin/csh
man $1 | 2txt > $1.txt

Or, you could try this guys aliases:
http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/sagawa/html/pc/dot/.csh.aliases

And this guy has some good utils on his page:
http://www.geocities.com/jasonpell/oldprograms.html

Hope all of this helps...
Tell me how it comes out...

Brendan

>Brendan wrote:
> > # ./man2txt < umlug.1x.txt | less
>
>Brendan,
>
>Thanks for this!  Where did you find man2txt.  It seems to not be
>installed on Mandrake 8.1 with the selection I made, and although I
>found a man page for it on the internet, I haven't, so far, found a
>place to download it.
>
>Randy Kramer

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

["message.footer" (text/plain)]