List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] Installing a newer kernel
From:       "Dean S. Messing" <deanm () sharplabs ! com>
Date:       2005-09-29 17:22:47

: : Anne Wilson grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
: : > The laptop has a centrino processor, and ATi graphics.  The default
: : > kernel installed was 2.6.11-6mdksmp. I know there are newer kernels,
: : > but am unsure which to look at.  Do I need 2.6.11.12, or one with smp
: : > in the name?  If I install 2.6.11.12 do I also need dkms and the ATi
: : > kernel modules?
: :
: : You only need a smp kernel if you have more than one CPU in the computer.
: : Just FYI.
: :
: : Sorry for what I suppose might be a semi-hijack, but I've seen the term dkms
: : here before, and I'm just drawing a blank on what it means or what it does.
: : Any answers to that question? :-)  Off-list is fine if you don't want the
: : thread to degrade any.
: :
: :                  --Dave
: :
:
: <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6896>

Ok, sorry.  Anne gave this answer later in the thread.
I was too quick on the draw.