List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: {Spam?} Re: [expert] Mandriva 2006
From:       rikona <rikona () sonic ! net>
Date:       2005-09-28 16:35:49

Hello Anne,

AW> On Wednesday 28 Sep 2005 04:05, rikona wrote:
>>
>> DG> Actually, I tend to bee in Tom's park here.  Even with an
>> official DG> company release of software (any softwer in general, but
>> OS DG> releases even more so), I tend to stay away from {anything}.0
>> DG> versions, for the reasons he mentions.
>>
>> In the past, I have found about x.3 to be OK - enough actual feedback
>> and fixes to correct many of the problems.
>>
>> DG> Yet Another Reason I Hate Mandriva's New Version Naming System.
>> DG> You don't know what it is that you're getting WRT that.
>>
>> I understand there will be .0, .1, .2, ... and that we should get a
>> few updates each year. But, if .3 is the 'sweet spot', by the time
>> we get there, it will be almost ready to start over again with the
>> next year release. What will this imply for those desiring
>> top-notch stability?

AW> .3?  I've been here since 8.0 and don't ever recall seeing a .3.

True for MD. I was referring to a general rule that seems to work well
with lots of different software packages, and extrapolating it to MD.
Also, it would seem as though a 'few MD updates' per year would get to
.3 also, but perhaps late in the yearly cycle. The idea was that a
very stable release would appear just before it will be replaced by a
less stable new version.

--

 rikona                            mailto:rikona@sonic.net